As businesses begin to re-open, both employees and customers are feeling different levels of fear and anxiety. As leaders, it’s important that we lead the way through this transition. This 9Grid, prepared by Director of Qnity Trainers, Carrie Perkins, lays out steps you can take to support those who are finding this new normal difficult to navigate.
1) “Compassion is often the solution.” – Start with empathy in all of your interactions.
2) Visual – We are visual creatures, images help us create deeper meaning and often inspire action. Communicate visually whenever possible.
3) ACCE – Qnity’s acronym stands for Appreciate, Care, Challenge, and Encourage. Use this model of engagement to support your culture.
4) Don’t take anything personally – When fear and anxiety take over people say and act in ways they normally wouldn’t.
5) Simple – “Simplicity boils down to two steps: 1. Identify the Essential. 2. Eliminate the Rest.” Leo Babuta. Change is hard, no matter what. Keep it simple by focusing only on what is essential.
6) Inhale, exhale – Focus on your breath, deep breathing has been used for centuries to calm fear and anxiety.
7) Structure – Structure creates freedom and the ability to make decisions with clarity and confidence.
8) 4×4 ways – If you want something to stick, you have to communicate your message 4 different times, 4 different ways. Consider this when communicating anything new with staff and customers.